Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Default Constructor: a possible solution


I finished my last post grunting like an angry old man. Time to stop whining and start proposing something. Ok, here’s what I do. As a rule in my projects, I mark parameterless constructors in domain classes as @deprecated. This way I can monitor bad coding habits without affecting frameworks that need to access the default constructor. This normally raises questions so I have a chance to explain to developers why I consider it an anti-pattern and to find a solution (normally a robust constructor or a factory).

Another possible solution is to make it a check in source code quality checkers such as checkstyle, this approach eases the burden of manually adding the deprecation comment in all the classes, but requires the team to be familiar with the tool, while deprecation should already be in every developer’s scope.

Tags: , ,
Post a Comment